defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Repurposing: Jam Jars

Some people would say I'm cheap.  Others might say I'm frugal.  I choose to think of myself as "resourcefully green".  But seriously, as I've mentioned before, I love finding new uses for objects that have seemingly already served their intended purpose.

I adore repurposing jam jars.....my all time favorite being Bonne Maman jam jars.  From their little red and white gingham lids to the light they emit when used to hold a votive candle, there is something utterly magical about them.  They are scattered around our house taking up residence on tables and the mantel.  The light from the candles seem especially perfect on the nights we decide not to turn on the TV, but instead put on a Diana Krall CD and sit curled up on the sofa reading our books.

You may have noticed one of the Bonne Maman votives in the photos of our Valentine's Day dinner table.  They look equally at home....at least to my eye....dressed up with china or kicking it casual outdoors on a terrace or patio.

They also find many uses in my office.  There is always a jar filled with brightly colored paperclips and butterfly clips on my desk.  Sometimes they are used to hold pencils, pens, and markers, but I always leave the label on as I think it only adds to the charm.  Raspberry Preserves. Orange Marmalade.  Wild Blueberry Preserves.  No matter the flavor....they are all perfect full of jam or empty and awaiting their next incarnation.

I don't know what it is about the French, but they do know how to tug on my desire to repurpose with their charming jars and timeless packaging.  For casual flower arrangements, I prefer the elongated St. Dalfour jar.  Daisies, daffodils, or queen-anne's-lace look especially cheerful and cottage cute above the navy printed label.   

We throw too much away needlessly.  The next time your knife hits the bottom of the jam jar and you get ready to toss it, think about all the things you have in drawers or at the bottom of purses that might find a new home in that vessel previously occupied by unctious sweetness.  Loose buttons.  Tea bags.  Coins.  Stamps.  There are tons of tiny things that could be contained or displayed in a pretty little jam jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment