defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's Up Doc?: Gluten-free Carrot Bread

Wishing everyone a Happy Spring!  By all accounts, it appears a good portion of the country has jumped right over Spring and landed in the middle of summer.  The sycamores in our neighborhood have started to green at the tippy top, my favorite bird has been singing beautifully, and Spring showers are predicted for this weekend.

Since I gave up white flour, my baking has come to a screeching halt.  I've wanted to experiment with some of my old recipes substituting gluten-free flour, but never got around to it until last weekend.  I thought the beginning of Spring and approaching Easter holiday would be as good a time as any to give our family's Carrot Bread recipe a go.  Amazingly, I think it actually turned out better with the substitution!

A little background before the actual recipe.  Most people who go gluten-free do so because of celiac disease or a wheat allergy. Why did I give up white flour?  Aside from my new eating regime, I had started to suspect white flour triggered a pain point on my lower left back.  Within a few hours of eating a product made with white flour, I would experience excruciating stabbing pains in that one very localized area.  When I eliminated white flour the pain went away.  In the years since banning white flour from my life, there have been occasions when I couldn't avoid eating it.  Like clockwork, the pain came back.  Some people might say it's all in my head.....what isn't in my head you might ask....but I can only respond to what I have experienced and I truly believe there is a connection.

 Gluten-free Carrot Bread 

4 free-range eggs
2 cups organic sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
3 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
1 teaspoon Bob's Red Mill Xanthum Gum
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups coarsely grated carrots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour the loaf pans.  This recipe will produce 2 full size loaves or 4-5 mini loaves.  Beat eggs and sugar together.  Add the oil, flour, xanthum gum, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix well.  Add the grated carrots and mix well.  Spoon into the greased loaf pans.  For regular size loaves, bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the top.  For the mini loaves, bake about 40 minutes.

You can make this with regular flour if you prefer.  The recipe is exactly the same and the quantity of white flour is the same, simply omit the xanthum gum.


No comments:

Post a Comment