defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Friday, February 3, 2012

The Spice Route: Curry

I grew up in a family that didn't eat a lot of ethnic or spicy food.  Spaghetti and meatballs was considered ethnic, the box of Bell's poultry seasoning the most exotic spice blend in the cabinet, and the only head of garlic my Mom ever bought is probably still in her kitchen, but now resembles something out of King Tut's tomb.  Maybe it was an act of rebellion or simply exposure to a wider range of cuisines, but in my world, chicken feet are now considered ethnic, I often run out of garlic because I use so much, and my regularly used spices include yellow, red, and green curry powders and pastes.

For me, yellow curry falls into the same category as risotto in that it often varies with what's in season or in the refrigerator.  This is probably a good time to mention I'm a vegetarian....actually, a lacto ovo pescatarian.  My Mom gets a real kick out of that and often asks me to tell her friends "what I am".  Basically, that just means I eat milk products, eggs, and fish.  I do not, however, eat farmed fish for reasons that might come up in future posts.  As a vegetarian, my curry ingredients usually include some combination of vegetables and/or tofu over a brown rice (basmati, jasmine, etc).
My yellow curry doesn't include coconut milk while most others do.  I started making this years ago and as a result, I can't remember why I originally omitted it, but have also never found a reason to add it back.  Other than chopping and cooking the vegetables and/or tofu, the actual curry portion of the recipe is really fast and quite easy.  I should also add, this is a very mild curry so even the most unadventurous eaters should be fine.

So which color curry is my favorite?  Whichever color is on the plate in front of me!

Yellow Curry with Vegetables

5 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour*
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
salt
2 cups carrots, sliced and boiled
3 cups cauliflower florets, roasted with olive oil
2 cups green beans, trimmed and steamed
4 cups cooked rice

Serves 4

Place the broth in a small saucepan and warm.  Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat and stir in the chopped onions. Cook the onions until soft and translucent, but not browned.  Add the flour and stir (I use a whisk) until smooth and thick.  Cook for a couple minutes over low heat, but don't allow it to brown.  Gradually add the the warm broth stirring constantly.  The butter, onion, and flour mixture will thicken into a smooth sauce after the addition of the broth.  Add the curry powder and stir/whisk until well combined.  Lean over the pan after you've added the curry powder and inhale.  The aroma is so fabulous you can't help but smile and swoon.  Season with salt.  Add the vegetables and stir gently.  Place a cup of the cooked rice in the bottom of a soup bowl and top with the curry mixture.

*I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour as we are gluten-free whenever possible.  Bob's is a great all around flour and I can't detect any difference from white flour in this recipe.  Bob's All Purpose is a blend of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour.  You can substitute 1/4 cup regular flour instead if you prefer.

Vegetable Options
While I used carrots, cauliflower, and green beans in the above recipe, other good veggie options are potatoes, broccoli, and peas.  When I use potatoes, I boil them until fork tender.  Broccoli is best steamed or roasted with a little olive oil.  The only peas I've ever used in this recipe were frozen and thawed prior to adding.

Tofu Option
Using extra firm tofu; drain, pat dry, and cut into 1/2" cubes.  Place tofu cubes in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Season with salt.  Spread tofu on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until browned and slightly puffed.  After plating the rice and curry mixture, top with the tofu cubes.


4 comments:

  1. Love the posts!!! Keep them up!
    Cheers an happy choppin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the posts!!! I can't wait until all the great summer produce comes into season. One of the recipes will definitely be stuffed squash blossoms!

      Delete
  2. Kristin, this vegetable curry dish looks AMAZING. Ry and I were at Monterey Market this morning and I considered buying some cauliflower, but I just never know what to do with it. It looks beautiful in this dish. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You're always so sweet with your comments. Peas work well with the carrots and cauliflower....plus the green of the peas looks great with the other colors.

      Delete