defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Morning Musings Over Muesli

I hope everyone had a great and very green Earth Day.  While I wasn't out in a garden or planting a tree, I did wander into the realm of one of the....if not the.... greatest "back to the land" pioneers ever to grace the American landscape.  Henry David Thoreau.  

Walden was one of the many books I had sitting on bookshelves and penciled in on my "must read" book list.  Interestingly, it simply took my stumbling across a quote by Thoreau last week to finally transport me Walden Pond. 

Not to be too cryptic, but this year is quickly turning into one of great change and even greater uncertainty for Dan and me.  This isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last that we are unable to see around the curve in the road or over the next hill.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. 

So what was Thoreau's quote that stopped me in my tracks?  "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined."  And so we will go....and hope the next hill will be a lucky one.  Stay tuned.

We usually have dry cereal during the week, but today just seemed like a Muesli kind of morning.  It's chilly and overcast and while Muesli is still cold, it does feel a little more cozy.  After trying many recipes, this is what I've come up with as our favorite morning treat. 

Monday Morning Muesli

1 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup slivered almonds, plus more for topping
1 cup vanilla yogurt, plus more for topping
1 navel orange, supremed       
vanilla soy milk

Mix the oats, raisins, cranberries, and slivered almonds in a bowl.  Add 1 cup of the vanilla yogurt to the bowl and stir to combine.  Spoon the moistened oat mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.  To serve, spoon mixture into bowls and add enough vanilla soy milk to thin to your desired consistency.  Top with another dollop of vanilla yogurt, the orange segments, and a sprinkle of slivered almonds.  Serves 2.

I usually double or triple the above recipe and store it in an airtight jar so I always have it on hand when the mood strikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment