defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Homage to the Artiste

Carolina Polo & Carriage Co.
As most of you know, Dan has been in South Carolina since last Wednesday in the name of his art.  He's sent me a very small sampling of photos of subjects and images that have caught his eye and I'm sure he's very eager to come home and get back in front of his easel.  It will be interesting to see how he captures this new region on canvas.

It's not terribly normal for Dan and me to be apart.  Throughout the course of our marriage, we've worked together or, at the very least, out of the same house more often than not.  Things don't feel quite right when we're not together and this time was no exception.  This is how the first four days went for me....

Charleston balcony

Day 1:  Yippee!  I have the apartment to myself.
Day 2:  Gosh.  I wish he would call more often.
Day 3:  Wow.  It feels like he's been gone forever.
Day 4:  Damn.  I wish he would come home.

That last sentiment ran through my head as I sat eating dry cereal out of the box for dinner.  Dan, on the other hand, probably relished the peace, quiet, and tranquility of not hearing me....or the TV....drone on and on.

Last week I was cleaning out some drawers and came across Dan's stack of recipes from his "pre-me" days. We have known each other for almost twenty years and have been married for almost twelve which makes the fact we have difficulty understanding the other's handwriting quite bizarre.  As I gazed down at the yellowed piece of paper I could make out the first word as "Tuna", but the second word eluded me.  When I handed the paper to Dan, he said, "this is my recipe for Tuna Tremendique".  Say what?

I made a mental note that I had to make this tremendous tuna recipe at some point and tucked it under a book on my dresser.  This morning, as I was tidying up, I discovered the little slip of paper and decided to give it a go for yet another solo dinner tonight.  The recipe below is exactly as it was written by the artiste....who told me he went through numerous iterations to get it just right.


Tuna Tremendique

1 can (12 oz.) light tuna in water (drained and rinsed)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
8 Kalamata olives, chopped
1 small handful of cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine

Mix all ingredients together.  Place a nice dollop of the tuna mixture on a  piece of 9-grain bread and top with arugula or spinach and then another piece of bread.  Instead of using it in a sandwich, I simply put a few spoonfuls on a bed of baby spinach. 

And to my husband, the artiste....tres magnifique!......Now come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment