defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Long Goodbye

On the road again well wishes
"A thought....."  The second I read those words in an e-mail or hear them over the phone, I know our dear friend, Ridge, is posing something magical.  I'm not entirely sure if they were the exact words in the e-mail in which Ridge offered to host a going away party for Dan and me, but that's how I will always remember it.  The date was set for last night and the event, as is always the case when one hikes the 64 steps to the house on the hill, was the perfect mix of excellent food, bottomless bottles of wine, and jovial company.

Dan's brother, Vic, and his partner, Thuan, drove over from the desert and our dear friends, Jim and Mike, up from behind the Orange Curtain.  We were joined late in the evening by Ridge's grand nephew, Richard, and his partner, Michael.  Not surprisingly, the guests provided lively conversation, strolls down memory lane, and so much laughter a baby skunk decided to check out the festivities and wandered right up to the screendoor. 

Our wonderful host
Upon entering the living room, complete with the million-dollar view of L.A., we were greeted with a yummy display of hors d'ouevres backed by a presentation that provided everyone an overview of our soon-to-be home town of Castine, photos of the new home/shop/gallery, and well wishes on our next adventure.  Corks popped and everyone wandered onto the deck to take in the sunset.  When Ridge said dinner was something "simple" it's a safe bet to say his idea of "simple" and mine must vary greatly.  Dinner was a lobster salad on the half shell, perfectly poached salmon with a silky sauce sprinkled with dill, and roasted veggies all beautifully plated on a bed of spinach.  Simple?  No.  Exquisite?  Absolutely. 

I don't know if Ridge keeps a dosier on all of his friends, but he always astounds me when he manages to remember my favorite things.  I could swear the last time I was over at his house I commented on the stunning golden orange roses in his garden.  Amazingly, they were at the center of the table amid an array of pillar candles.  And when the red velvet cupcakes appeared for dessert, I couldn't help but whisper to Ridge that he had, once again, remembered they are my favorite.  I was beyond touched when Ridge offered me the most beautiful handknit Irish throw for use in the shop as display.  The warmth the throw will provide during those long cold Maine winters will not only be due to the thick wool, but also in knowing it was Ridge's.  It will be comforting to look across the shop and feel he is with me.

Red Velvet cupcakes from Lark Cake Shop
Time is winding down and emotions are running high for me.  I can be so incredibly stoic about some things, but such a crybaby about others.  Last night proved more than a little hard to say goodbye to our family and friends.....who I also regard as family.  Ridge pointed out that we have only known each other for two years, but through my tears I told him there are some people you meet along the way who are fast friends from the start.  Ridge was one of those people.  Dan and I are blessed to have friends who are family and family who are friends.  There aren't enough words of thanks we can offer Ridge for his generosity, hospitality, and friendship so Dan and I will simply say, "Thank you from the bottom of our hearts".
 
Dan, me, and Ridge at the end of a perfect evening

No comments:

Post a Comment