defintion heading

post- a prefix meaning: after in time/apocalyptic def: a prophetic disclosure; a revelation/princess def: a woman who is a ruler of a principality Post-Apocalyptic Princess def: A woman who became an award-winning apparel designer, found her prince, battled breast cancer, lost over 100 pounds, adored her time behind the counter in the wonderful world of retail, has more than a few neuroses, lived in L. A., moved to a little town in Maine, and is attempting to make a go of a retail shop while trying to figure out a way to get back to L.A. before she loses her mind and savings

Friday, April 6, 2012

Here a Chick, There a Chick, Everywhere a Chick Chick

Silver Laced Wyandotte
I might not have all my ducks in a row, but I do have my chickens lined up....so to speak.  While there aren't any boxes of peeps arriving from a hatchery this Easter, I do have my eye on a few breeds for our future hobby farm in Maine. Through my research, I've also come across some amazing chicken coops that range from the stunningly beautiful to the uniquely whimsical, but I'll save those for a future post.

Buff Orphington
First off, you don't need a rooster to produce eggs.  Second, backyard chickens aren't going to smell like the dreadful CAFOs everyone has become well aware of in recent years.  Third, you don't need a huge farm to keep a nice group of layers.  That being said, there are chickens who are used primarily for meat....not in our house....there are chickens who excel at egg laying and there are chickens who do both and are referred to as dual purpose breeds.  There are also ornamental breeds who can produce eggs and meat, but are better known for their fancy appearance.
Barred Plymouth Rock

Why do I want chickens?  The answer you would probably get from my husband and mother is because I'm a nut.  On the contrary, backyard chickens are gaining quite a following in cities, towns, and suburbs around the country.  Everyone can't be nutty.  Right?  A highly productive chicken can lay an egg every other day.  They are excellent for fertilizing the land, especially when housed in a mobile coop.  But most important for us, we are concerned about the antibiotics, hormones, and inhumane conditions that run rampant in the poultry industry in our country.

Dominique flock
How did I come to my selected list of potential breeds?  Knowing we want to live in Maine, the birds would have to be cold tolerant.  I am very proud that Dan now knows chickens in colder climates have smaller combs to alleviate the possibility of frostbite.  As we were solely interested in egg production, I eliminated meat breeds and ornamentals.  I sought out calm, highly productive breeds that were friendly, docile, easily handled, and kept well in confinement.  Based on all those factors, I ended up with a list of six first-string potentials with a few back-up candidates.  My list....in no particular order....Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orphingtons, Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Marans, and Dominiques.

New Hampshire Red
More than breed type, the question I am most frequently asked is what do I intend to name them.  In light of the fact we are also considering having ducks, geese, and turkeys (no names for turkeys as they would be for meat), I would like to follow a theme in naming each poultry flocks.....perhaps writers, artists, actresses, or famous chefs.  It might be great fun to name the chickens after actresses; Betty Davis, Lauren Bacall, Greta Garbo, Lucille Ball, and Grace Kelly.  The big question?  If you named one Meryl Streep would she cluck with a different accent everyday?

Just in time for Easter.....the famous chocolate-colored Marans' eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment